Here are some news stories from this week that I think the mainstream media completely missed out on. All links are from legitimate news sources and not the fringe / wacko sites.
* Some people have a pre-existing immunity to H1N1. Now THAT would be good to have! Warning: deep med-speak in this article [CDC]
* Hormel and Herdez Del Fuerte are going to combine to form VOLTRON MegaMex Foods. This venture is to market “Mexican foods in the United States”. Um, guys? You’re a little late. It’s called Fiesta. But I guess this might be a good thing overall to push more things into the mainstream. As long as they don’t “Hormel-ize” everything. I better not see no Molle with “real bacon flavor” at the grocery store. [FOOD BUSINESS NEWS]
* The US Military would like to point out that current research… “appears to show that many people can emerge from traumatic experiences with greater self-confidence, [and] a keener sense of compassion and appreciation for life, says Brig. Gen. Rhonda Cornum, director of the Army’s Comprehensive Soldier Fitness program.” OK. Let me paraphrase that: Didn’t die. Woo Hoo! Pass the beer. [US MILITARY HEALTH SYSTEM and a cross link on USA TODAY]
* Pepsi just lost 1.26 billion in a lawsuit… because they didn’t show up. As in ever. As in summary judgment. What the hell, right? It’s just money! [WALL STREET JOURNAL]
* A California jury just found KDNDFM radio station liable for causing a woman’s death in a stupid “Hold Your Wee for a Wii” contest they had back in 2007 when the Wii system was just coming out. This woman drank 7.5 litres of water trying to win a new this video game system for her three kids. The Wii video game system is now worth around $200. That’s messed up. And why is this only making British news? [DAILY MAIL]
* Good news, bad news. A US company has acquired BIMBO. For those of ya’ll that don’t know what BIMBO is, it’s pretty much a major Hostess / Sarah Lee bakery kind of thing in Mexico. Well, “net U.S. third-quarter sales more than tripled to $978 million when compared to the previous year’s third quarter.” Fine. I’m happy for you all. Really. Just DON’T MESS WITH MY BIMBUNELOS! They’re 100% sugar on a fried wagon wheel goodness! [FOOD BUSINESS NEWS]