* D’oh! I goofed setting up the autopost. This was supposed to be up on Saturday.
Here are some news stories from this week that I think the mainstream media completely missed out on. All links are from legitimate news sources and not the fringe / wacko sites.
* Is climate change a lie? Some hackers who broke into the University of East Anglia’s Climate Research Unit (aka Hadley CRU) and stole a bunch of their internal emails say what they have is proof global warming is all a big lie. Manbearpig is not pleased. [TELEGRAPH.CO.UK] BONUS: I’ve heard you can download the stolen emails here. Or was it here? I forget. I’ve also heard you can find it at some famous professional unaccredited sailor’s bay website under the name “Hadley CRU Files”. Supposedly.
* This intro headline says it all… “Here’s a new way to think about the U.S. government’s epic borrowing: More than half of the $9 trillion in debt that Uncle Sam is expected to build up over the next decade will be interest. More than half. In fact, $4.8 trillion.” [CNN]
* Texas has a new online anti-harassing law that kicked in September 1. This ought to be interesting. Check out the first part of the law… “A person commits an offense if the person uses the name or persona of another person to create a web page on or to post one or more messages on a commercial social networking site : (1) without obtaining the other person’s consent; and (2) with the intent to harm, defraud, intimidate, or threaten any person. (b) A person commits an offense if the person sends an electronic mail, instant message, text message, or similar communication that references a name, domain address, phone number, or other item of identifying information belonging to any person: (1) without obtaining the other person’s consent; (2) with the intent to cause a recipient of the communication to reasonably believe that the other person authorized or transmitted the communication; and (3) with the intent to harm or defraud any person.” The bold italic part is my emphasis. This is where a LOT of people are going to get popped. [MIKEYOUNGLAW]
* Those rich college kids! If only there was some way to get their money! Well, Mayor Luke Ravenstahlof of Pittsburgh has a plan! He’s going to tax college students! From the article : “We do not want to impose a tax on the students. We hope that will never happen. But it’s up to the universities to take their great wealth and share it with the city.” So in other words, you got some money, we want it, so give it up and nobody gets hurt. Kind of like a robber would say to someone in a dark alley, dontyathink? [THE PITTSBURGH CHANNEL – 4]
* Hershey’s is about to nom on Cadbury. A $17 billion nom. [BLOOMBERG]
* The FDA is apparently coming down on pharmacies… in other countries. For selling things to the US that are illegal here. Here’s the word of the day for the FDA… JU-RIS-DIC-TION. [FDA]
* And here’s where the FDA redeems themselves. A man in Maryland who was selling Veal was pumping them full of illegal drugs. What could possibly go wrong when drugs designed “to control abnormal rise in body temperature associated with bovine respiratory disease and endotoxemia” enter the market place? Needless to say, veal-man is done now. [FDA]