Here are some news stories from this week that I think the mainstream media completely missed out on. All links are from legitimate news sources and not the fringe / wacko sites.
* The next time you’re busted for sleeping in, just say you were actually very hard at work rebuilding your synaptic pathways! Scientists just figured out sleepin’ helps “consolidate memories, fixing them in the brain so we can retrieve them later… new research is showing that sleep also seems to reorganize memories, picking out the emotional details and reconfiguring the memories to help you produce new and creative ideas.” [PHYSORG]
* Brace yourself… I see a stamps going up to a dollar soon! The U.S. Post Office just announced they doubled their losses “in fiscal year 2010, despite cutting billions of dollars in expenses and trimming its staff.” I think the problem is the post office is fighting 2010 tech with a 1800’s mentality. So how can they update themselves to be profitable in these modern times? Off the top of my head…
- They need to get into the digitization of magazine subscriptions and print periodicals so that customers have the option to read, search and archive all of their “paper” mail in a secure online account. (As a bonus, resell the high-quality digitized copies back to the magazine vendors for their own redistribution purposes.)
- Get into the “app” stores of iPhone and Andriod and offer a take-a-photo-and-send-it-through-the-regular-mail service (or just buy one of the dozens of apps that already do this). As a bonus, tie into Walgreens, Sams, Target and WalMart to have a copy of the postcard printed at a local photo printing location as well.
- Setup a secure email confirmation service that has the US governments’ seal of approval on it. I’m thinking something like the “e-cards” from a few years ago, where you send an email to a “certified” USPS site and the recipient “picks it up”. The USPS would track the IP address of the sender and recipient, keep all the tech info on file, and make the output court-friendly.
- Setup something like a “USPS micropayment” service for internet transactions, where customers can make little transactions online (.10 cents, .50 cents, etc) in exchange for a bill at the end of the year.
Oh, and one more thing they can do… quit with the constant catalogs I’m getting in the mail that say how wonderful they are and how spiffy everything they do is. [CNN]
* Wanna’ know another way you can tell someone is lying to you? They start an answer to you with “Well”. It’s actually scary how many times this happens. [PSYCHOLOGY TODAY]
* Oh Danny boy, the banks, the banks are failin’… [SPIEGEL]
* A federal judge found warrantless cell phone tracking is unconstitutional! Dude! What’s next? Closing Guantanamo? Stopping the torture of prisoners? Ahhh, I can dream of such righteous freedom and liberty! [ACLU]
* The future called and said it’s really here. You can now create blood for your own transfusions from your skin cells. Science is awesome! [TELEGRAPH.CO.UK]
* Have you ever heard of the movie “Victor, Victoria“? It’s about a woman pretending to be a man pretending to be a woman, all in the name of getting a part on a Broadway show. That’s kind of a goofball premise, right? Well check this out… an man engaged to be married (with millions to waste) decided he not only did not want to get married, but he really wanted to be a woman! He went through a complete sex change, then partied hard with a ton of men. In the middle of his partydom, he met a “very special” woman, and decided he really didn’t want to be a woman anymore. So he went back through the sex change process to become a man again, and then married this new woman. Dude. I can’t tell if this is going to wind up on Lifetime, Sci-Fi, or the Horror channel. [DAILYMAIL.CO.UK]
* And finally, allow me to present a completely fabricated fully holographic singer. Terrifying concept. Seriously awesome high-tech. Japan. Of course.
aaaaaand Video #3
OK, so if this crap exists, where are my Star Wars hologram phone calls and my R2 unit already?
That’s all I got! Back Monday!!