The article from the Wall Street Journal seemed sensationalistic enough. “Tales From the Crypt: To Attract New Blood, Church Joins Club Scene”
Oh brother, I thought. Now what? Did the Catholic church open a nightclub in some major city with some stupid “Twilight” theme?
Nope. Nothing so tame.
“The crypt of the Basilica di San Carlo al Corso near St. Peter’s Square has boasted tombs of cardinals for centuries… Rev. Maurizio Mirilli, head of youth ministry in Rome’s Catholic Church, has converted a section of the crypt into a nightclub with a live-music stage and a bar stocked with beer, Prosecco and other wine. Father Mirilli has christened the new watering hole GP2, short for “Giovanni Paolo II,” as the late Polish pope was known in Italian.”
OK. So blasting music among the crypts of hundreds of years of entombed cardinals while getting plastered isn’t somewhat…. I don’t know… inappropriate? Bad ju-ju? Creepy?
Oh, and speaking of bad ju-ju….
“Scrawled across the bar was a biblical passage from the Gospel of St. John, quoting Jesus Christ: “Give me a drink.”
Um… the article itself points out that Jesus Christ was referring to water. He didn’t push through some saloon doors, mosey up to the bar and ask for a brewsky.
Beer, disaronno, whiskey sours, dirty martinis, jack and coke… the only thing that ever goes with these things is maybe a small snack. That’s it. Sacred crypts with centuries of dead cardinals laying around do nothing to enhance my drinking experience whatsoever, thank you very much.
The article is in the “free” section of the Wall Street Journal’s website.
Apple finally released the Google Voice app for the iPhone.
Unfortunately, the app is not showing up if you search the app store! (Figures!)
If you want to install Google Voice directly on your iPhone, just launch Safari on your iPhone and go to…
… or a goo.gl shortened version…
This will launch the App Store on the iPhone and you can install Google Voice directly to your iPhone right now. You can also visit the…
…link on your PC or Mac and download Google Voice directly to iTunes.
Every Tuesday I re-post all zee tweets that didn’t originate from this blog just to keep everything in sync.
This last week on Twitter…
- WSJ: “Chinese Plan To Buy Stake in GM” – About 16% of GM will be foreign owned after the US $50 billion bailout. http://j.mp/dpWcia (5:41 AM Nov 15th via Twitter for iPhone)
- Galaxy on Fire game tip (iPhone/iPad): getting over $1 million lets you dock and trade anywhere. Fun game. Still free. (9:22 PM Nov 14th via Twitter for iPhone)
- So the power goes out for the whole stadium just as Dallas starts winning in NYC? Figures! (3:17 PM Nov 14th via Twitter for iPhone)
- When I had insomnia in Dallas, I would ride my motorcycle on the empty city freeways to zen out. I really miss my bike on nights like these. (3:01 AM Nov 14th via Twitter for iPhone)
- The movie previews for “Unstoppable” makes me think it’s “Speed”, but with rails. (1:27 PM Nov 12th via Twitter for iPhone)
- New iTunes 10.1 isn’t installing iOS update yet for iPad/iPhones. Looks like server coordination issues again. (11:45 AM Nov 12th via web)
- New iTunes is out. Should finally allow for folders on iPad. Available under software update. (10:10 AM Nov 12th via web)