Here are some news stories from this week that I think the mainstream media completely missed out on. All links are from legitimate news sources and not the fringe / wacko sites.
* There’s a few things you should never do before going to bed. One of them is to drink a glass of OJ after brushing your teeth. Whoof! Another one is to read Bloomberg. Aside from pointing out that this was the “worst May for the Dow Jones Industrial Average since 1940“, the site also says that the “Treasury 10-Year Yield Falls [the] Most in 17 Months on Europe Crisis“, “Bank Failures Climb to 78” for the year and “New Home Sales Set to Plunge in Former Bubble Markets” (that would be Phoenix and Las Vegas). All this, and yet, no weather report. Seriously, as much as I would loooooove to believe the worst is behind us, I have a bad feeling there’s some grade-a butt-ugly coming back around.
* So why is the market so freaked out this time? Maybe because “governments were the solution to the economic crisis. Now they are the problem.” D’oh! [ECONOMIST]
* Science now says the future can influence the present! So if I go nuts at a sushi buffet and cover everything in thick wasabi paste, down two egg rolls and drink one giant hot and sour soup, my future self can keep a massive tummy ache from happening? I accept that challenge! [DISCOVER]
* Science also says the cutting of babies’ umbilical cords “should be delayed to allow more vital stem cells and nutrients to flow from their mothers” and this extension of cutting “could also prevent anemia”. One doctor in on the research says “delaying clamping the cord for at least 30 seconds reduced incidences of intraventricular haemorrhage, late on-set sepsis, anaemia, and decreased the need for blood transfusions”. That’s actually pretty interesting! Go science! [TELEGRAPH.CO.UK]
* Craving knowledge and information all the time? It may be a sign you’re a junkie! According to this article/research, “the brain’s reward for getting a concept is a shot of natural opiates.” Well that’s just friggin’ peachy. However this does explain why a lot of scientists have the same hairstyle that crackheads do. [EUREKA ALERT]
* Good news / bad news! The good news is that a new ebola vaccine/inoculant is 100% effective in monkeys! Looks like my “flaming chainsaw with ebloa” will soon no longer be as terrifying! Yay! The bad news? They’re injecting monkeys with “massive doses of the most lethal strain of Ebola” as part of their tests. 28 Days Later anyone? [NPR]
* Google has $26.5 billion in CASH MONEY? Google is hiring Wall Street vets to handle this $26.5 billion pile?!? Google even launched its own trading floor? Dude. I just got the plot for Ocean’s 14! [BUSINESS WEEK]
That’s it! Back Monday!