Here are some news stories from this week that I think the mainstream media completely missed out on. All links are from legitimate news sources and not the fringe / wacko sites.
* I’m a big fan of Science. Every so often, though, science brings out the kind of discovery that makes me do the 3-stooges-Curly “Nyaaaaa-aaaa-aaaa!” sound. Exhibit A: scientists and doctors now want to freeze patients into a state of suspended animation for surgery. I’m talkin’ deep suspended animation. As in “No pulse, no blood pressure, no electrical waves in the brain” suspended animation. Hey, if you’re already dead, there’s no more harm to be done! Hippocratic oath fulfilled! [TELEGRAPH.CO.UK]
* Date with a warlock? Check. Blood on the altar? Check. Getting fed on the altar of he-who-shall-not-be-named at midnight? Check. GOP candidate? You betcha’! [THINKPROGRESS.ORG]
* The “big side eye” award winner of the week are the Russians on the International Space Station! They took a gun up to the space station! Seriously. A gun. If any advanced intelligence travels across the friggin’ galaxy to meet us, their tech will be light years beyond ours, so a handheld oxygen-based kinetic energy weapon won’t do diddly squat. So the only other possible use I can see for a gun on the space station is to make damn sure the last glass of Tang always goes to Russia. [WESH]
* The headline says “How night owls are cleverer and richer than people who rise early”. Being a night owl myself, I must point out it’s “more clever”. Ain’t no such word as cleverer! [DAILYMAIL.CO.UK]
* Somebody watched too much “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” as a kid. “Chocolate creator Georges Larnicol, who owns a dozen shops across western France, won a bet by successfully building a seaworthy boat from chocolate.” Wait, wasn’t it a chocolate river in the movie? And wasn’t the boat a one-way trip down the local psychosis-r-us lane? NOTE: VIDEO LINK [BBC]
* And now for a quick slice of serious pie. This is a direct bit from SALON.COM: “Not only does the President have the right to sentence Americans to death with no due process or charges of any kind, but his decisions as to who will be killed and why he wants them dead are “state secrets,” and thus no court may adjudicate their legality.” This isn’t filed under BUSH. It’s filed under OBAMA. Yup. Obama is ordering Americans killed overseas that are deemed terrorists without a trial, and it’s Obama who says his actions are “state secrets” and nobody can second guess them. Sooooooo where all the screams of protest? All the demands of justice? This kind of un-American crap was wrong when Bush was doing it, but it’s OK under Obama? [SALON]
* And finally, there’s been an ongoing project to drill into a very deep, heavily fortified, and unmapped room in the great pyramid of Giza in Egypt? A room in the Pyramid of Khufu that was not on any hieroglyphic tablets or records? A room no one ever ever ever mentioned in all of history? A room that’s completely surrounded by thick slabs of solid rock and that has been 100% sealed off for 4,500 years with no access in or out? A room that is “blocked after 60 meters by a limestone door with two copper handles… and 20 centimeters behind it, a second door that looks like “it is screening or covering something.”” Somebody call Brendan Fraser, Oded Fehr and Rachel Weisz and tell ’em to standby. We might have a live one here. [CNET] and [INDEPENDENT.CO.UK] and the driller’s page at [DR HAWASS]
That’s all I got for this week. Back Monday!