Please excuse my looooong absence, but I’ve been extraordinarily busy with hundreds of work projects these last few months.
Recently I purchased a HP v220w USB flash drive. It was on sale at the time and was the cheapest 16gb stick on the shelves, so I figured why not. A flash drive is a flash drive, right?
I first plugged it into my main desktop PC running Windows 7. It mounted, then disappeared, then re-mounted, then disappeared again.
OK, I thought, maybe it didn’t like Windows 7 or that particular PC. I rebooted the Windows 7 PC and tried plugging in the HP drive again, but got the same disappearing mount trick.
So I made the rounds…
- Plugging it into a MacBook Pro Laptop : Wouldn’t mount five out of five times.
- Plugging it into a Mac Pro 12-core Desktop : Wouldn’t mount five out of five times.
- Plugging it into a Windows 7 desktop : Wouldn’t mount first 3 times. Mounted on 4th try and stayed mounted! Unplugging it and then plugging it back in… it wouldn’t mount.
- Plugging it into a Windows 7 Laptop : Wouldn’t mount first 4 times. Mounted on 5th, then disappeared.
- Plugging it into a Windows Vista desktop: Wouldn’t mount five out of five times.
- Plugging it into a Windows XP desktop (the “emergency” spare): Wouldn’t mount five out of five times.
At this point, I knew it was a bad flash drive. So I went back to the store I bought it from and got an identical replacement HP drive. The same size, the same 220w variety.
So imagine my surprise when I plugged this new flash drive into my systems and the Same! Damn! Thing! Happened!
I was impressed. In all the wrong ways, mind you, but I was impressed.
So I looked online. Specifically HP’s own website where they sell this… thing. It’s full of one star reviews and people reporting similar experiences.
SO, in summary, I have to say the HP v220w USB flash drive is junk. Did I say junk? I meant ABSOLUTE GARBAGE. A USB drive that will not mount? That’s a textbook example of terrible engineering and rotten quality control.
HP: screwing up accessories every other company gets right.