Here are some news stories from this week that I think the mainstream media completely missed out on. All links are from legitimate news sources and not the fringe / wacko sites.
* Want another example on how London is different than Texas and how the British judicial system is completely screwed up at the same time? Check this story out… a man and his wife and three kids came home from church services and were all attacked in their own home by a knife wielding burglar and two other men who were already there. The burglars tied them all up and threatened to kill them all. The homeowner broke free of the restraints and fought with the three men. One of the kids also got free and ran next door to get the homeowners brother. The homeowner managed to hold off the three burglars until his brother arrived to help. Two of the burglars ran away while the third burglar got beat up in the homeowners front yard by the homeowner and his brother with a cricket bat and a metal pole. The police arrived… and arrested the homeowner and brother for beating the burglar!!! The burglar that was caught? He got let go and is completely free. The two brothers were sentenced to prison for two and a half years. Judge John Reddihough said the prison term was for the homeowners and the homeowners brother’s “very violent revenge”. Judge John Reddihough whined that “If persons were permitted to take the law into their own hands and inflict their own instant and violent punishment on an apprehended offender rather than letting the criminal justice system take its course, then the rule of law and our system of criminal justice, which are hallmarks of a civilised [sic] society, would collapse.” Hey Judge John Reddihough? In Texas, defending your own home and family from burglars is perfectly legal. And Texas isn’t in any danger of collapsing from all this legal “anarchy” you’re so afraid of. People should be allowed to take whatever means necessary to defend their own family in their own home. Especially when they or their family are threatened with terminal harm in their own home. Oh, and one more thing Judge John Reddihough. You’re a complete fucking asshole. A wanker’s wanker. A bloody hairy boil on the ass of the English judicial system. Just thought you should know. [DAILYMAIL]
* Better get that botox or tummy tuck done soon if you’ve been thinking about doing it. The US government is planning… “a 5% excise tax on elective cosmetic surgery, beginning Jan. 1, 2010.” In other words, a vanity tax. I predict a lot more of these “sneak taxes” coming in 2010. [USA TODAY]
* The FDA opened a branch office in Mexico. To help pre-screen food items heading into the US from Mexico. I don’t know if this is a good idea. What’s wrong with inspecting food once it’s securely on our side of the border? [FOODBUSINESS NEWS]
* Why don’t you notice the dark when you blink? Because blinking temporarily switches off parts of your brain! Science in fun. [PHYSORG]
* A recent military study links deployment to hypertension. Next study from military intelligence – getting shot is surprisingly bad for your health. [MILITARY HEALTH]
* Domino’s Pizza is changing their whole formula! New crust, new cheese and new sauce. The “New crust will have added butter, garlic and parsley, the new cheese will have shredded instead of diced mozzarella and a hint of provolone, and the new sauce will be sweeter, with a red pepper kick.” What the hell? I liked the old Domino’s because it was different! The change happens “in all U.S. stores by Dec. 27”, so enjoy the original style by Christmas before it’s gone forever. [USA TODAY]
* The headline says it all. “Obama weighs creating commission to propose tax hikes”. Didn’t I just predict “sneak taxes” a few paragraphs ago? Well now it’s serious. “The proposed [commission] panel would… vote after the midterm elections on a reform package that could include dramatic tax hikes and spending cuts.” Naturally these cowards would wait to do something after the midterm elections. Start saving and re-investing your money now, folks. [CNN]