A new article on CNET says that “U.S. District Judge Kimba Wood issued an injunction today against the company that operates the long popular file-sharing software, LimeWire, and requires managers there to disable “the searching, downloading, uploading, file trading and/or file distribution functionality, and/or all functionality” of the LimeWire software”
If you visit the Limewire page right now, you’ll see the official “death notice”…
“This is an official notice that LimeWire is under a court-ordered injunction to stop distributing and supporting its file-sharing software. Downloading or sharing copyrighted content without authorization is illegal.”
If you’re still on Limewire, I would recommend you remove the app from your system right now. It’s about to be as useful as Napster was when the hammer came down on them.
Wired just posted an article on how to completely bypass the iPhone passcode lock and access that iPhone’s entire address book and phone numbers.
From a locked iPhone screen…
- Tap the “Emergency call” button (by the zero on the bottom row).
- Enter three pound signs. (#)
- Hit the green call button and then immediately press the lock button (the hardware button on the iPhone).
That’s it. You’re in.
The iPhone’s address book will appear and you can scroll through the entire iPhone and call (or copy the numbers) of anyone you want.
I just tried it on my iPhone and it works just fine. Voicemails. Call history. Every single contact.
Here’s the video of the Brazilian iPhone customer who originally found this gigantic security hole.
Bug no iOS 4.1 from Salomão Filho on Vimeo.
There’s no word from Apple yet on this discovery. You can read more about the iPhone security code problem on Wired here.
EDIT: While you’re in the address book, try adding a contact to the iPhone. You’ll be able to see all the photos on that iPhone, too!
Every Tuesday I re-post all zee tweets that didn’t originate from this blog just to keep everything in sync.
This last week on Twitter…
- Parallels 6 apparently scans competitor VMWare Fusion folders & automatically adds their volumes. Genius + Devious! http://yfrog.com/bbg4kj (9:59 AM Oct 21st via Twitterrific)
- Just saw a calculator 4 sale @ a department store w the batteries corroding thru the packaging. Old & busted mess. http://yfrog.com/2t2vbaj (8:32 PM Oct 22nd via Twitter for iPhone)
- wikileaks Iraq War Logs: Every death mapped | Guardian http://bit.ly/cdXYxq (6:16 PM Oct 22nd via web Retweeted by RoyceEddington and 100+ others)
- 1 round UFC heavyweight fight? Brutal! (9:30 PM Oct 23rd via At Once – iPhone App)
- Bloomberg : Treasury Draws Negative Yield for First Time @ http://bit.ly/dzYRHd (Oct 23rd 2010 via bitly)